Y4 Multiplication Timestable Check (MTC)
Presentation from the parents/carers meeting 2/3/22
What is the Multiplication Tables Check
The Multiplication Tables Check (MTC) is a key stage 2 assessment to be taken by pupils at the end of year 4 (in June). From the 2019 / 2020 academic year onwards. The purpose of the MTC is to make sure the times tables knowledge is at the expected level.
The MTC is an online test were the pupils are asked 25 questions on times tables 2 to 12. For every question you have 6 seconds to answer and in between the questions there is a 3 second rest. Questions about the 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12 times table come up more often. The questions are generated randomly based on the rules of the MTC.
Top tips for practicing and resources
The 5-step plan (taken from timestables.co.uk)
Learn the times tables with the 5-step plan. We developed an innovative five step plan to help pupils learn the times tables in an effective and efficient way. This method has been tested at several schools and is recommended by teachers.
The steps are:
- Step 1a: View, read aloud and repeat. To get familiar with the table.
- Step 1b: Fill in your times tables answers in sequence and check if you got them all right.
- Step 2: Drag the correct answers to the questions.
- Step 3: Fill in your answers for the mixed questions and check if you got them all right.
- Step 4: Multiple choice questions will help you to improve by looking at the questions in a different way.
- Step 5: Proof your knowledge and get the diploma.
When you finished the 5 steps you can play the memory game or exercise with the worksheet. Other way to train more are with the tempo test, the 1 minute test or to play the times tables games.
We advise to exercise daily for 15 minutes for maximum result.